On a newly released CCTV video from inside the prison cell of Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman the sounds of hammering can be heard in the moments before he escapes via a mile-long tunnel. Watch video below.
Guzman can be seen laying on his bed watching television with the volume turned up to drown out the noise diggers are making beneath his cell. Despite this, the clanking and thumping sounds of hammering are clearly audible.
Meanwhile, the guards at Altiplano prison are not responding. Not to the loud television set in Guzman’s cell nor to the hammering sounds which must’ve vibrated through the area. They do not respond until twenty minutes after Guzman’s exit from his cell. Giving him enough time to get away.
It is widely believed Guzman had corrupted many guards and prison officials in order to make sure his escape succeeded.
To date 23 government employees and 10 citizens have been arrested in connection with Guzman’s prison break. Among them one pilot who transferred the fugitive drug lord to a safe destination and 22 prison officials, including three high-level officials from the federal prison system.
Since his escape Guzman has been a ghost. He remains in firm control of his Sinaloa drug cartel.
The video is courtesy of broadcaster Televisa.
Follow Gangsters Inc. on Twitter and Facebook.
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- Did El Chapo put a $100 million bounty on Trump or not?
- How ATF's Fast and Furious crashed and burned
- New map shows mob social clubs in New York
- Spotlight on Tampa Mafia with tour and magazine
- How Bonanno goodfellas whacked Lufthansa heist loot
- Sicilian Mafia travel guide reveals island's underworld
- Give a Man a Gun: The story of Carmine DiBiase
- The scoop on the man who brought down Genovese
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
- The Man Who Stole the French Connection
- Joe Barboza: Boston Barbarian
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.