The violence in the Canadian underworld of Montreal has claimed the life of yet another mobster. 65-year-old Vincenzo Spagnolo was shot to death at his home on Saturday evening. Spagnolo was a good friend and close business associate of Vito Rizzuto, who ruled the city’s Mafia before dying of natural causes in 2013.
Spagnolo and Rizzuto were so close, in fact, that during a phone call while Rizzuto was in prison in the United States, he once told Spagnolo, “You know you’ve always been one of my favorites. When I get permission to make a phone call, I take fifteen minutes for my wife and fifteen minutes for you.”
In their extensive account of the Montreal Mafia titled Mafia Inc., authors André Cédilot and André Noël detail Spagnolo’s longstanding friendship with Rizzuto. “Back in 1988, [Spagnolo] had offered to post $1 million dollars bail for Vito after the seizure of 32 tonnes of hashish […] The judge refused,” they wrote.
Spagnolo owned Buffet Le Mirage, a banquet hall in Saint-Léonard, and was in frequent contact with both Vito and his father Nicolo as well as other members of the Mafia group. In January of 2003, Spagnolo joined Vito Rizzuto and Montreal Mafia members Francesco Arcadi, Joe Di Maulo, Paolo Renda, Giuseppe Triassi, and Domenico Chimienti, on a golfing trip to the Dominican Republic.
Get the latest on organized crime and the Mafia at Gangsters Inc.'s news section.
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- Mafia Math: Calculating Italian organized crime's illicit income
- Arsonists set Montreal ablaze as Mafia war rages on
- INTERVIEW: John Gotti Jr. sits down with Gangsters Inc.
- The American Mafia and its use of colorful nicknames
- The Canadian Connection: Flooding the U.S. with dope
- Murder of mob boss Rocco Zito: Hit or domestic dispute
- Montreal Mafia boss Arcadi to be released from prison soon
- Six plead guilty in murder of ex-Bonanno mob boss
- My loving dad was a gangster and Bugsy Siegel's close friend
- Montreal mobster caught with 62 kilos of cocaine in Arizona
- The American Mafia bets on the world and wins big
- How Bonanno goodfellas whacked Lufthansa heist loot
- Sicilian Mafia travel guide reveals island's underworld
- The humble origins of Lucky Luciano and Joe Masseria
- Give a Man a Gun: The story of Carmine DiBiase
- The scoop on the man who brought down Genovese
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
- The Man Who Stole the French Connection
- Top 5 of true stand up wiseguys
- Cops make the deadliest Mafia hitmen
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.