Australian police wrapped up a very successful operation aimed at taking down a multi-million-dollar cocaine ring on Christmas Day, arresting fifteen men, and seizing over 1,100 kilograms of cocaine in Australia and Tahiti and 32 kilos of heroin in Fiji. Police described the drug organization as “robust, resilient and determined.”
The whole investigation started two-and-a-half-years ago, after a tip-off from what police called a “concerned member of the community.” Several different police agencies worked together in Operation Okesi as they intercepted several large drug shipments originating from South America and collected incriminating evidence on all the key players.
This core group was comprised of an assorted bunch, including: former Eastern Suburbs Roosters rugby player John Roland Boyd Tobin, who played 125 matches in the 1980s; Bondi entrepreneur Darren John Mohr (photo left), the former owner of the Bondi Rescue HQ café, who lives a flamboyant life filled with Harley Davidson motorcycles and Rolls Royces; Reuben John Dawe, a maritime worker; and Joseph Pirrello, a commercial fisherman.
With a total of 1,100 kilos of cocaine, valued at $360 million, and 32 kilos of heroin, this is the largest drug bust of its kind in Australia’s history.
Get the latest on organized crime and the Mafia at Gangsters Inc.'s news section.
Follow Gangsters Inc. on Twitter and Facebook
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- Australian 'Ndrangheta Mafia boss Bruno "The Fox" Romeo dies at 87
- Organized Crime in Australia
- Mafia bosses challenge racetrack and casino bans
- Assault on Law and Order in Melbourne
- The Man Who Runs New York: Genovese family boss Liborio Bellomo
- The American Mafia and its use of colorful nicknames
- How Meyer Lansky laundered the Mafia's dirty cash - and made them bigger than US Steel
- My loving dad was a gangster and Bugsy Siegel's close friend
- Lucky's Luck: How Charlie Luciano got out of jail and passed go
- Top 4 stone cold gangsters who look like total wimps
- Joey Merlino living like a boss in Florida
- $15 million drug ring led by New York Mafia families busted
- Mafia Math: Calculating Italian organized crime's illicit income
- Basta! How Sicily's Antimafia movement fights Cosa Nostra
- INTERVIEW: Former mob boss John Gotti Junior sits down with Gangsters Inc.
- New map shows mob social clubs in New York City
- Ten Must-Visit Mob Bars and Lounges
- Sound of Silence: How the Sicilian Mafia communicates
- The American Mafia bets on the world and wins big
- How Bonanno goodfellas whacked Lufthansa heist loot
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.