Global super star Jennifer Lopez will play the role of Colombian drug kingpin Griselda Blanco in an upcoming HBO film about her notorious and violent life of crime in Colombia and the United States. Lopez enjoys success as both an actress and musician and currently stars in the NBC drama Shades of Blue.
“I’ve been fascinated by the life of this corrupt and complicated woman for many years,” Lopez said in a written statement. “The idea of teaming with HBO felt like the perfect fit for finally bringing Griselda’s story to life.”
Griselda Blanco was one of the most prolific drug bosses in the United States during the 1970s and 1980s, and one of the few females who rose to the top of the male-dominated world of narcos. Though her life of crime was documented in news media and books, it wasn’t until the 2006 documentary Cocaine Cowboys and its lesser sequel Cocaine Cowboys 2 in 2008 that she became a celebrity gangster, of sorts.
After serving a drug sentence in the United States, she was deported to Colombia where she settled in Medellin. In 2012, two gunmen on motorcycles pulled up to Blanco as she walked out of a butcher shop. One man got off and pumped two bullets into her head. She was 69.
Many were amazed it took that long for someone to kill her for a lot of people wanted her dead.
Get the latest on organized crime and the Mafia first at the Gangsters Inc. news section.
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- Pablo Escobar's war on Colombia
- Colombian drug kingpin gets 35 years in prison for coke conspiracy
- Sinaloa cartel's Kansas City drug chief gets life in prison
- NY father & son guilty of smuggling over 50 kilos of coke with Calabrian Mafia
- Escobar vs Cali: War of the Cartels
- Godmother Griselda Blanco shot to death in Colombia
- Clock is ticking: Mexico approves El Chapo's extradition to US
- Mexican drug boss El Chapo Guzman recaptured
- Mexican cartels tighten iron grip on US drug markets
- Top 5 drug lords killed while on the run
- Did El Chapo put a $100 million bounty on Trump or not?
- How ATF's Fast and Furious crashed and burned
- New map shows mob social clubs in New York
- Spotlight on Tampa Mafia with tour and magazine
- How Bonanno goodfellas whacked Lufthansa heist loot
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
- The Man Who Stole the French Connection
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.