Guatemala’s most powerful cartel boss Marlon Monroy was extradited to the United States on Wednesday, he faces drug trafficking charges in Florida. Monroy, a former military officer, was arrested on April 30 while relaxing at his luxurious mansion in the tourist city Antigua Guatemala.
Nicknamed “El Fantasma,” Monroy was the Sinaloa cartel’s main man in Guatemala, responsible for shipping drugs from Ecuador and Colombia through the ports of Iztapa and Monterrico on the Pacific and other areas of Guatemala to Mexico and the United States.
According to various media reports, Monroy used his contacts in the military to set up an extensive trafficking organization and a fearsome security apparatus to protect his interests and take deadly action where needed. Through the years, Monroy has built a reputation for vicious violence.
The United States is welcoming quite a few big narcos to its soil. Mexico’s most powerful drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman will join Monroy’s American jail experience in the coming months – depending how long he is able to stall his extradition from Mexico.
Get the latest on organized crime and the Mafia first at the Gangsters Inc. news section.
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- Wolf Boys gives hellish look into Mexican cartel underworld
- Profile: Jalisco New Generation cartel boss Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes
- VIDEO: Nephew of Gulf cartel boss shot dead by sicario
- Jennifer Lopez stars as drug lord Griseldo Blanco in new HBO movie
- Power Play: The kidnapping and release of El Chapo's son
- Sinaloa cartel operation busted in New York
- Pablo Escobar's war on Colombia
- Colombian drug kingpin gets 35 years in prison for coke conspiracy
- Escobar vs Cali: War of the Cartels
- Godmother Griselda Blanco shot to death in Colombia
- Clock is ticking: Mexico approves El Chapo's extradition to US
- Mexican drug boss El Chapo Guzman recaptured
- Mexican cartels tighten iron grip on US drug markets
- Top 5 drug lords killed while on the run
- Did El Chapo put a $100 million bounty on Trump or not?
- How ATF's Fast and Furious crashed and burned
- Spotlight on Tampa Mafia with tour and magazine
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.