One big family! The cast and crew behind the upcoming motion picture about New York mob boss John Gotti Sr. got together this weekend for a celebratory dinner marking the start of filming. They also had an uplifting message for a Gotti relative who was diagnosed with leukemia.
Director Kevin Connolly has quite the entourage, pun intended, surrounded by husband and wife John Travolta and Kelly Preston, John Gotti Junior and his brother Peter, and several other members of the cast and crew during a fun evening celebrating that the story of Gotti is coming to the silver screen.
Star couple John Travolta and Kelly Preston will take their marriage onscreen as they appear as husband and wife Gotti. While some still doubt Travolta can pull off playing the part of the Dapper Don, an insider tells Gangsters Inc. he has no doubts. “I've seen Travolta in hair and make-up and it's amazing what they can do! John Junior brought nineteen of his father’s ties and hankies for Travolta to wear during this movie, his suits as well, but they weren't too crazy about getting them altered so Travolta copied them.”
With filming underway, Gangsters Inc. can exclusively reveal some more cast members, thanks to our man on the inside.
Spencer LoFranco will take on the role of John Gotti Junior. The young actor is a fresh face who starred in movies such as Unbroken and Jamesy Boy.
He is joined by the more experienced Stacy Keach, known best for his roles in The Bourne Legacy, American History X, and television series Prison Break. Keach will play Gambino crime family underboss Neil Dellacroce, who was Gotti Senior’s mentor during his mob career.
Actor Chris Mulkey (Captain Phillips, The Purge, Boardwalk Empire) portrays the role of Frankie DeCicco, Gotti’s underboss who was killed by a car bomb placed by mob rivals aiming to murder the Teflon Don.
Patrick Boriello (A Bronx Tale) is playing Gotti Junior’s cousin “Johnny Boy” Ruggiero. Boriello is the son of real life Gambino family mobster Bobby Boriello, who was killed in a gangland hit by the Lucchese crime family in 1991. Pruitt Taylor Vince (True Blood, Heroes Reborn) will take on the part of Gotti Senior’s best pal Angelo Ruggiero.
The choice for a few of these actors might surprise some people, but makes all the more sense to the crew and studio, our insider explains. “They wanted fresh faces,” he said. “Not the usual gangster movie characters for this movie.”
Though the crew was in a good mood as they celebrated and dined, the Gotti family received some sad news as Gotti Junior’s 21-year-old nephew Anthony was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Despite this, they remain hopeful. As a show of support the family and film crew posed for pictures (see below) wishing Anthony a speedy return to health.
Below are some exclusive photos from the set:
Get the latest on organized crime and the Mafia at Gangsters Inc.'s news section.
Follow Gangsters Inc. on Twitter
Like Gangsters Inc. on Facebook
If you enjoyed this article you might also enjoy reading:
- $15 million drug ring led by New York Mafia families busted
- Basta! How Sicily's Antimafia movement fights Cosa Nostra
- Gotti film starts shooting in Cincinnati on July 25
- INTERVIEW: Former mob boss John Gotti Junior sits down with Gangsters Inc.
- Cosa Nostra boss of bosses Bernardo Provenzano dead at 83
- Italian mob boss talks about 'Ndrangheta's global reach
- Santo Trafficante: Building the Family Business
- Ten Must-Visit Mob Bars and Lounges
- Sound of Silence: How the Sicilian Mafia communicates
- My loving dad was a gangster and Bugsy Siegel's close friend
- The American Mafia bets on the world and wins big
- How Bonanno goodfellas whacked Lufthansa heist loot
- The humble origins of Lucky Luciano and Joe Masseria
- Gangsters Inc. sits down with FBI agent Jack Garcia
- The Man Who Stole the French Connection
- Top 5 of true stand up wiseguys
- Cops make the deadliest Mafia hitmen
Copyright © Gangsters Inc.